The practice of law is not for the faint of heart. Your clients are your priority but on a daily basis you are confronted with a barrage of decisions – are bills ready to go? Do you know how you’re doing financially? Why is there so much paper everywhere? Is it time to replace my computer – it’s so slow?
These are real issues that force us to think about the underpinnings of our firms almost daily. However, when caught up in the day-to-day, we often don’t have time to stop and think about fixing a problem so that the solution has benefit to everyone involved and so that it is something that will last.
There’s a difference between replacing your computer, and building a long-term, cost-effective technology strategy. There’s also a difference between buying “one more file cabinet” and going paperless – but the right things to do are often the things that we think we don’t have time for when a client is calling, a response is due, and bills have to get out the door. The problem is if we don’t take time to address the real issues we have, we just keep facing the same questions and concerns again and again, and perhaps spending money and time where we don’t have to.
With our YourBusiness service, we have worked with many of our clients to take a step back and look at the big picture: business process, technology, financial, document management and more. We come on site and talk to you and your people about the challenges you are facing today and then we analyze all that we learn from you in conjunction with industry best practices and decades of experience helping law firms and legal departments with all areas of their practices.
As a result, we present to you via a written report (and oral presentation if preferred) a comprehensive look at the challenges your firm is facing and the exact plan of attack for addressing each one:
• Do you need new software? We’ll show you viable applications that will meet your needs in concert with a budget and rough timeline of what it will take to get it implemented.
• Looking to become more efficient? We examine your core processes, identify steps or actions that are wasting time, money, other physical resources and present a more productive way for your team to get their daily tasks done.
• Do you want to really get a handle on how your firm is doing financially? We’ll do a deep dive into your billing processes, trust accounting, AP and AR, and overall reporting and show you how to fine tune each process and measure your practice to financial health
• Concerned about having the right people on your team? We can help you define organizational structures, necessary training and management tools to optimize your people and help them get more done and feel better doing it.
These comprehensive “reviews” can help a newly formed firm understand the basics of a strategic operational plan or help a long-established practice get on track to achieve specific goals they have.
Does this kind of comprehensive evaluation sound like overkill? Sometimes it is. Sometimes your firm is moving along swimmingly except for this one piece of the puzzle. Perhaps you wish your financial reporting were more timely and accurate. Or perhaps you would really like to see matters opened more efficiently.
YourBusiness is flexible. We can target our evaluation to suit the pain points on which you are most focused. Our most common “stand alone” offerings include:
• Financial Review
• Business Process Review
• Document Management Review
• Technology Review
Our goal is to zoom in on the areas your firm needs to optimize to be as productive – and profitable! – as possible. We’d love to share more with you about each of these areas of focus. Throughout April we’ve set up a series of free webinars where our experts will walk you through what an evaluation of each of these functions can include.
We hope you’ll join us to learn more about why and how you can step back and find out how to permanently fix the day-to-day challenges you face within your practice.